The Department of Education imperative is for all teachers to integrate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives into the curriculum and classroom practice as part of the Australian Curriculum. Our school is developing a whole school team approach to address this.
Cultural Awareness Leaders
Here at Wonthaggi Primary School, we are learning together in many ways:
- Students Acknowledge Boon Wurrung Country in their own words each morning. We pause and listen to students’ original words, over the public address system.
- We Acknowledge Country at events such as assemblies and sing The Acknowledgement Song to honour the original inhabitants of this land.
- We liaise with local Aboriginal people and groups such as the Bunurong Land Council and the Aboriginal liaison officer of the Bass Coast Shire.
- We aim to liaise with our First Nations families, considering Cultural safety.
- We access school resources written by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander professionals – Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Inc., Reconciliation Victoria, Koorie Curriculum, Victorian Aboriginal Children’s Association, Victorian Aboriginal Corporation of Languages, Boon Wurrung Foundation – just to name a few.
- We attend local events such as National Sorry Day, NAIDOC Week.
- We have commenced writing a Reconciliation Action Plan with a group of staff, students and parents.
- We have a Cultural Awareness Team (staff) who plan for Professional Development sessions, develop some curriculum content.
- We have commenced learning Boon Wurrung language and Cultural information under the leadership of Aunty Fay Muir, Senior Boon Wurrung Elder and linguist.